|Türkçe tarifi için tıklayınız|
Do you throw away spinach roots? I am sure you would not do this if you knew you could cook delicious dishes with them.
You can just steam or boil them and add olive oil, vinegar, garlic and you can have healthy yummy appetizer. Alternatively, you can cook them together with lentil and chickpeas and eat as a main dish like my recipe below.
This recipe is from Adana in southern Mediterranean coast of Anatolia.
Just be careful! You need to wash the roots a lot to make sure that you removed dirt.
My method : First clean them with water. Then, fill a bowl with water and add 1/2 cup tablespoon vinegar. Later on, place veggies in the bowl and wait 10-15 minutes and then rinse and drain.
- 7-10 Spinach Roots
- 1/2 coffee cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 coffee cup green lentil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red pepper paste (if you don’t have red pepper paste, you can only use tomato paste)
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1/2 coffee cup water
- 1 finely chopped garlic
- Put olive oil and chopped onions into pan and stir onions until they become softer and their color turn to golden (5-7 minutes)
- Add red pepper paste &/ tomato paste and stir around 5 minutes more.
- Add spinach roots, garlic, boiled chickpeas and green lentil.
- Cook around 15 minutes in low heat until they become tender.