Kısır (Bulgur Salad) is delicious and very popular appetizers prepared bulgur.I know I use Bulgur a lot but for thousands of years, it is used in Anatolia where I am coming from. Therefore, I like it a lot. Also, it is yummier and cheaper than quinoa that is very popular recently. One of the most popular Bulgur Recipes is Kısır (Bulgur Salad). It has different than other salads you consume due to its different ingredients. Taste is different too. If you are bored to eat your regular salads, try this. It is good appetizers especially for afternoon.
In Anatolia, many women (especially housewives and retired women) gather together regularly; weekly or sometimes twice a month. They eat and talk. This is their main socialization activity. Males are not allowed to join :). Even, husband of homeowner either sits in other rooms silently or goes outside until visitors go away. Kısır is one of the main dishes they prepare for this gathering activity.
This delicious dish has too many different ingredients but very easy to prepare.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
- 2 cup fine bulgur
- ½ cup boiled water
- 2 finely chopped tomato
- 3 bunch finely chopped spring onion
- ½ bunch finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon red pepper paste (if you don’t have, you can use tomato paste too)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 or more tablespoon Pomegranate sauce (it is up to you too. Pomegranate sauce fits very well but it is not easy to find good quality one. If you don’t have it, you can use balsamic sauce or lemon juice as an alternative)
- 5 mint leaves (Up to you again. Use if you like mint taste)
- ½ tablespoon salt (Up to you again)
- ½ tablespoon sumac (Again, it is up to you)
- Put the bulgur in a pot and add boiled water into bulgur, stir and close pot (You can use bowl too. It won’t be cooked)
- Wait 15 minutes until the bulgur becomes soft. Check if the bulgur is soft. If not; you can add a little bit more water and wait again but be careful. It shouldn’t be watery in other words, water shouldn’t be more than the amount that bulgur can absorb.
- Add sumac and the spring onion and continue to knead.
- Add chopped tomatoes and the parsley and continue to knead too.
- Add pomegranate juice and olive oil and knead again
Ready to serve